I was due November 11th, but Miles just wasn't ready to come then. We were waiting and waiting, but I could tell I was just not going to go into labor. Finally I was scheduled to be induced the night of Friday, November 19th. They were supposed to call me between 4pm and 6pm with the time of my appointment. After waiting all day at 5:30pm I got a call that they did not have enough room, and I would have to be induced the next night...bummer! So instead we went out to eat and had a nice steak dinner.
I woke up Saturday morning to a nice surprise that I had started my 'bloody show,' so I knew maybe my body was finally going into labor! I was having back pains throughout the day, but didn't really realize they were contractions. At 4:15pm I got a call that our appointment was set for 7:30pm that night. My mom made a delicious spaghetti and meatball dinner at my request, and then we headed off to the hospital while my parents waited at our apartment.
The nurse took my vitals, put an IV in, etc, and the doctor checked me at 10:30pm. I was happily surprised to find out that I was 3cm dilated, which meant they didn't need to soften my cervix and could start the pitocin right away. Pitocin started at 11:30pm, and by 1am I wanted the epidural. They checked me and I was 4cm, and after waiting about an hour for the anesthesiologist, I got the epidural a little after 2am. Hallelujah that was wonderful! Richard and I actually got some rest at that point. At 4am I was 6cm, and then at 6am I felt the need to push. At that point I had a resident shake Richard to wake him up (he's a sound sleeper and had been sleeping in the chair since the epidural). I was like- honey i'm 9cm and feel the urge to push!!!
Then I had to wait about an hour until I dilated to 10cm, which was hard. At 7:15am I started pushing. At one point Miles' heart rate dropped and they said they might have to use a vacume to get him out. At that point I basically decided I needed to push myself to the limit and get him out on my own.
At 8:15am Miles Arthur Burton was born. I couldn't believe it when I looked down and saw this big boy! They laid him on my chest for about 45 min while they cleaned me up, etc.
I had no idea how hard labor would be. But I got through it like everyone else, and am very proud that I did it. Birth truly is a miracle.
3 comments:
congrats u guys! ive been checking for updates and was elated to see that everything went well. and my oh my, is miles a looker. i mean, everyone is bias with their own children, but he? he sure is handsome. love all the dark hair!
glad to see that things went well. hope you are getting rest and enjoying your little one. will i get to see him in md at christmas?
YES! I've been checking everyday for this! I'm glad they didn't have to pull him out with a vacuum. It sounds like the rest was pretty uneventful, which is a good thing! Don't you just feel like super woman now?
Thanks so much for sharing, Sarah! It's always fun to hear everyone's unique birth stories. So glad things went well and he is finally here!
Post a Comment